Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was resently removed my my position because of medical

Customer Question

I was resently removed my my position because of medical reason I used all my Short term DB and am waiting to hear about long term so I was told by the COBRA Gannett co to hold off on paying my cobra payment for OCT because I may just need to pay my reg payments insted I called every week in OCT they keep stating that would let me know someone would call me with a status which noone ever did so I would call every week with the same answer. I call yesterday asking if I needed to make a payment they said someone would call me back at the end of the day noone ever called . So I called today and now they stated that I lost my coverage that I needed to make the COBRA payment. I know the COBRA laws but they keep telling me when I asked if I needed to make the payment that someone would call me. now I havr thousands of dollars of DR bill sitting out thir because i waited for them to answer me???
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New Mexico
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I hav already made one COBRA payment for Sept but I held off because of what I was told
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can this coverage be reinstated?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Yes, the coverage can be reinstated since it was not your fault that it lapsed. If yo get runaround, contact U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration ("EBSA") and file complaint against your employer/Cobra Gannett Company. Click here to file your complaint with EBSA.

Best wishes,