Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

When I retired I was given 100% health coverage (labor

Customer Question

When I retired I was given 100% health coverage (labor contract). When I turned 65 I was referred to Medicare for coverage. And now I have to pay for coverage.
Why Is my former employer not libel
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, retiree health plans have clauses in them that provide coverage for retirees until they qualify for medicare. The provisions state that the retiree has to apply for medicare when eligible. As far as the retiree coverage being supplemental, that is based on your contract in your retirement plan description and you need to refer to that as to the right to supplemental insurance coverage as a retiree, but legally absent a provision guaranteeing payment beyond medicare eligibility the employers can do this to retiree and it is all based on your plan description from your retirement plan.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.