Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I'm a university professor and have been wrongly accused of

Customer Question

I'm a university professor and have been wrongly accused of a Title IX harassment complaint from a couple of students. The complaint was informal, but I want to know if I have legal recourse against the university because the complaint was a blatant distortion and potentially retaliatory. Minimally, I want to know if I have recourse to get the complaint letter permanently removed from my employee file at the university.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

As a general matter, when this happens, the university will investigate and on finding no conclusive proof, close the investigation. Once that happens, you have a right to demand the matter be sealed or removed and deemed confidential. You also have a possible claim for defamation and tortious interference with employment as against the complaining party. You have a claim against the university where it makes arbitrary findings, releases information in violation of policy, or otherwise takes adverse action contrary to its rules and the evidence in the matter.

Kindly let me know if that is clear.

if I can clarify anything let me know.

Please rate me 5 stars when you have a moment.