Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

Resigned from airline pilot job during initial training.

Customer Question

Hello
Resigned from airline pilot job during initial training. Atlas Air of New York. Travelled home to assist my wife in a non emerg med issue. Informed HR and scheduling via email on my way to the airport. Next day was asked to be in a conference call with 2 chief pilots and HR. One chief pilot went on to give me a browbeating about how I inconvenienced them all. This kind of talk caused me to feel rather appalled, that my wife meant nothing. I interrupted him and told them I resign. Of course, now, I regret that, but it was quite a miserable experience being spoken to that way. I'd already been gone from home for almost 5 wks.
I'm 57. The same chief pilot, during a welcome dinner, had said,,, hey good to see we're taking old guys. Joke I guess, but didn't really like it.
My email to HR and sched that day was that my wife is Nigerian and not familar with the med system quite yet. I just wanted to go home quickly, make sure things are fine then come back. Obviuosly, my reasoning was not acceptable.
So,,, wondering if there is any input you may have. Not feeling that I was treated like a human... more like as if I had climbed the prison wall and should be punished. Two others had gone home. One is rumored to be joining a later class. The other went home quick like me, no big deal. The difference, though, is he didn't have to rebook a day of simulator.
Thanks for any thoughts. My goal,,, receive an apology and invitation to resume. Or, are they discriminating against my foreign wife mentioned in my email request to travel home? Something just seems fishy about why my trip home made them so angry.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I am sorry this happened. Obviously if the resignation was not accepted formally you can seek to retract it and return. If they will not do so, you may seek to have an employment lawyer reach out to HR to negotiate a settlement which may include reinstatement and severance. From facts mentioned, there are facts that suggest age discrimination and violation of company policy, which can be used for leverage. Your narrative is good and you should build on it with dates and specific statements that support a claim for discrimination and violation of policy. Your "resignation" was a merely a reaction to extended exposure to such treatment and is a constructive illegal termination not a resignation.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Let me know if that is clear.