Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I got my friend hired at my store location in San,

Customer Question

I got my friend hired at my store location in San Jose, California. However, my employer refuses to pay me my referral bonus.
HR said my friend applied to different store location (Nevada) 2 years ago through a different referral. Her application was rejected. HR explained that they used her old application on file from 2 years ago, and paid the referral bonus out to the last person who referred her instead of me. What can I do to fight this? I feel this is very unfair since she would have not known about our store location hiring without me referring her.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

You can file a lawsuit for breach of contract in small claims court. You can also escalate your complaint to corporate who may override the decision of HR. Perhaps the bonus could be split between you and the other referring employee. You do also have to give consideration to how hard to want to push on this issue, as suing could be very damaging to your relationship with your employer.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....