John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Co-worker is accusing me of having an affair with another

Customer Question

co-worker is accusing me of having an affair with another co-workers wife. The same co-worker making these claims accused me of sexually attacking her.
All these started when I had to terminate her for selling away. she told owner of company she did that because over a year ago I sexually attacked her. company didn't fire her because of that accusation. And now shes telling co-workers im having an affair.
what can I do legally?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

This is a difficult situation. You should consider however, retaining an attorney to write a cease and desist letter to her - assuming her statement is not true. The letter should generally state that she is to stop telling mistruths about you immediately and that continuing the same will make her subject to a lawsuit for libel and/or slander for unspecified damages. If that doesn't stop her, then you'd unfortunately have to sue her, which is ridiculous but the only way to legally stop her.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
John,
I have 2 other female witnesses and co-workers that she tried to get them to file a sexual complaint towards me. The 2 co-workers immediately came to me and wanted to speak to the owner. owner refused to speak to them and move on with my life. And now almost 12 months later she's telling people I'm have affairs. Once again the owner said to get over it. The owner also had an office meeting telling everyone what had happen. Even making my situation more embarrassing.How much would a lawyer charge me for a letter? Should he include the names of the 2 women who are more then willing to say she tried to recruit them to say I sexually attacked them?
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

You're probably looking at $200-$300 an hour. I'd suggest that the attorney try to get affidavits from the witnesses in your favor. No more than 5 hours writing the cease and desist I'd guesstimate and a couple hours with the witnesses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
John,I live in Fresno Ca. do you know of anyone you recommend?
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

No I do not and, unfortunately, the terms and conditions of use of this website prohibit us from making a recommendation or taking cases from the website.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.