Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

I was terminated from my job today without any notice. I was

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job today without any notice. I was wondering if I have a claim for wrongful termination.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They did not tell me exactly why they terminated me and did not give me a chance to defend myself. It is my understanding that while I was on vacation one of my peers started a rumor I was showing favoritism to one of my employees. I can not prove I was not but they can not prove I was because they fired the manager over our department last month.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 1 month ago.

This is attorney Bill looking into your labor dispute today. Generally Utah allows employers a great deal of discretion to dismiss employees. However, strict prohibitions are in place from a federal level in relation to discriminatory dismissal based on one of the discrimination grounds and an employer must keep faithful to the contract of employment.

Did you have a signed contract and what were notice terms in the contract or what was agreed verbally ?

DO you feel you were discriminated against because of gender, age, race or citizenship ?

Do you have a copy of your work contract ?

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was not under contract, and no I do not feel I was discriminated against for gender age or race. I had no corrective actions on my record and no indication that there was a problem before today. I also do not know why I was fired they did not tell me.

Employee handbooks or oral statements and other conduct may imply a contract. This was determined in the case of wood v Utah farms.

Similarly a termination that violates public policy may be actionable. You could also make a complaint to the Utah labor Commission.

You should request a reason for your termination from your employer to see if that reason is actionable.

Similarly, you should see if there are any grounds for an implied contract. If it can be implied that you would be given more notice than a day, you could sue for breach of contract in the civil court.

Please follow up if you need more information.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE GOOD TO GREAT BEFORE EXITING

THIIS GIVES ME A CREDIT

I WORK FOR CREDITS AND RECEIVE NOTHING WITHOUT A POSITIVE ACCEPTANCE

Attorney Bill

Dear Customer,

I wish to follow up with you on your question. Is there anything else that you need to know ?

I only receive a CREDIT FOR MY ANSWER after you RATE POSITIVELY

Have a great day !

Attorney Bill