Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I owe a company money that has pulled out of California

Customer Question

I owe a company money that has pulled out of California (Texas based), when they pulled out, they laid off about 10 employees, but did not pay them their final pay. Is it legal for me to hold the money until he pays them? I have employed several of these employees, so I have first hand knowledge of what is going on. Some have gone to the labor board, we are encouraging the rest to also contact them.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

You would have no "legal" basis for withholding the money for this reason. You could be sued for breach of contract. However, that would typically be the extent of the risk for you, and if you feel that is a risk worth accepting in order to put added pressure on this employer to pay their employees, then it is certainly something you could consider. But it's not as though you would somehow be insulated from a breach of contract lawsuit or not be required to pay what you owe simple because the person to whom you owe the money owes money to their employees.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get paid for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.