P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

I am just trying to see what constitutes a "hostile

Customer Question

Hello. I am just trying to see what constitutes a "hostile workplace". I have a bully for a manager who yells and cusses at us and threatens daily to fire people, changes rules on us daily and calls us "babies" that don't want to work.
JA: Were any believable, sincere threats of violence made? Was any of this based on race, religion, gender, national origin, being age 40 or older, or disability?
Customer: not of violence just threats of firing. I am 45 but I don't know if I can prove it is towards me for age.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will and full time. I work for a government contractor.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything. I did make a verbal complaint to upper management today. She has also refused to train us/me and told us that we need to train ourselves on our off time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The issue will be if the management is treating you differently based on a "protected status"...so, for example, if they are being "hostile" to you because of your race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, age or disability? That would be a violation of the law.

Otherwise? It is unprofessional...but not illegal.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil