Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have a friend who recently applied for a job with a

Customer Question

I have a friend who recently applied for a job with a particular city. When he inquired with a friend who is on the hiring board about his chances later of being hired he was told, "You're not even in the top ten. You are too old. They are only interested in hiring someone 30." When asked why. My friend was told that they wanted to hire someone who would probably stay longer. My questin is this. Isn't this discrimination and isn't this an unlawful policy for a city? And what can be done about it. He is really upset as he has been looking for work for quite a long time and now wonders if other employees might have a similar policy. Please respond. Thank you.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Nebraska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. He has tried to file with the American Civil Liberties Union of Nebraska. He is waiting for a return call but has not received one.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: One more thing. My friend is concerned that in this community, should his name be connected with the complaint, he may be black balled from being hired by anyone. This is a community of about 25,000 and a lot of business people know one another. I used to live there and;, as a Pastor, I know they talk to one another.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 month ago.

Good day, my name is Brandon. I am a licensed attorney. I am alarmed by your story. How old is your friend?

I ask his age because although it's generally illegal to discriminate against hiring someone because of their advanced age, there are some exceptions.