Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

In the state of Colorado what are the rules about employer

Customer Question

In the state of Colorado what are the rules about employer doing background checks? Did all employees have to sign a form giving consent or is it suppose to be included in application , also what are the fines there if they violate this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We speaking 50+ people
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Colorado law, the Employment Opportunity Act, an employer with 4 or more employees is prevented from using credit background checks for employment except in limited circumstances (financial employees or upper management employees). Violations of this act carry a civil penalty from the Department of Labor of up to $2500 per violation and any suspected violations must be reported to the DOL.
An employer is supposed to get written consent from each employee that they are seeking a background check on and it may be as part of the application packet or separate forms, but it must specifically advise employees that a background check will be conducted and that they consent to the background check.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.