Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I have been in business for about 6 years and we have

Customer Question

I have been in business for about 6 years and we have allowed for everyone to take as much leave and sick time as long as it is not abused within the system. Now, it seems there are several people that have taken a lot more time then what they were supposed to. For instance one person has three weeks vacation - and 5 sick days. She has taken all three weeks vacation with the expectation of two days and she has over 10 days sick time. Can we state beginning of January, the new year stating that if you use all of our vacation time and sick time, then any other days taken would have to be time off without pay? Just so that you are also aware we give the last week of the year as time off with pay. We having several people in our office now counting days that everyone is taking off. Your thoughts?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What happens if we change the vacation schedule and then take back the last week of the year? Just a thought - going through our minds.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 month ago.

Yes, you absolutely can change your policies. Be sure to make them reasonable. Your simple explanation was too much abuse was happening.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should we just revise the employee handbook and the send it out to all employees, stating that there has been changes to the policies and to please sign the paper that they have received the new policy. Your thoughts?

That's exactly how I would recommend doing it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help!

Sure thing. Good luck to you guys. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be appreciated.

we only get credit for ratings of 3 stars or more. So i appreciate your rating very much.