socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

After a handful of months without being able to effectively

After a handful of months without being able to effectively communicate with one of my superiors, I was called to a meeting with another superior and the HR administrator. I was a old that my boss had called her and said it wasn't working even though I had repeatedly voiced this to HR and my boss. It was his mistakes that were creating the problems and I kept a record of it via email. I was so shocked
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: That this happened, I provided the emails to all of them outlining my excellent performance as well as my boss "s total lack of communication. Is this s PIP and if so, since I am 56 and worked in this profession for years, do I have any type of remedy?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: washington
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: At will. Nothing except that his comments which I have documented were nothing short of excellent and then he just stopped communicating with me about critical deadlines, etc
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 months ago.

A "Performance Improvement Plan" (PIP) is a written set of requirements that must be accomplished in order to avoid termination of employment. I don't see anything in your question that suggests a PIP.

Concerning a remedy for a supervisor's apparent duplicity, there is none. The remedy is for employment discrimination (race, color, nationality, religion, sex, age or disability). Your age, without more does not amount to unlawful discrimination. The typical age discrimination action is proved where an employee over age 40 is terminated, and replaced within 90 days by a significantly younger employee. This can be amplified in business organizations where the workforce is generally younger, or there is some emphasis on physical appearance).

If you can think of something that you believe may relate to unlawful discrimination, I'll be happy to provide further commentary. Otherwise, it may be time to "dust off your resume" and start looking for other employment.

I realize that my answer may not be exactly what you were hoping to read. However, under the circumstances, the best that I can do is to explain what the law is and is not, so that you can avoid expending valuable resources looking for answers that do not exist, and concentrate on the options that are actually available.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You did great. The thing is they gave me 4 bulletpoints of concerns that are not even going to surface in the three weeks they gave me to reevaluate. 4 random things only one of which I do well everyday. I can pay you more or maybe you can refer me to an attorney in Seattle who might be able to help me when they let me go even if they don't have the information they need. They have taken the duplicitous boss of my desk and reassigned me saying in an email that we might be able to work something out.

Sorry, but I don't participate in the Justanswer phone call option.

If you need a lawyer referral, see this link.

If you can't actually perform the PIP in the time required, then you are probably been "managed out" of the business. Which could be good evidence of discrimination.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You can charge me again, but included in this meeting summary was "this is not a one time occurrence but rather ongoing." None of this makes any sense because everyone except the new person assigned to my group is answering my emails. Where can I put 4 stars? I am on my I-phone so it isn't ideal.

Are you saying that you cannot see the rating stars?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't see them.

I'll send this to customer service. Thanks again for using Justanswer!