Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I would like to break my school contract for teaching. I am

Customer Question

I would like to break my school contract for teaching. I am being cheated and mistreated.
JA: Have you spoken to an attorney or school administrator? What is your ideal outcome for this situation?
Customer: I talked to a school board member about the pay scale and she said that they can not afford to pay me based on my 18 years of service. But the school system has a salary scale.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I believe that a negative report has been filed on my behalf.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I WOULD LIKE TO GET OUT OF MY CONTRACT. I need a reasonable cause.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to break your contract you must prove either the school is breaking their contract with you or you must have approval of the school board to let you out of your contract. If you simply leave and breach the contract, you can actually have your teaching certificate suspended or revoked for "unprofessional conduct," which is what the department of education calls it when a teacher breaches their contract and tries to leave in the middle of the school year.
Reasonable cause would be deemed things like significant medical issues that stops you from being able to work or proof of unlawful discrimination (age/race/sex/disability/national origin) or the employer not honoring their part of the contract as written.