Marc
Marc, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Attorney
77496635

A female co-worker asked me if I had any guns in my home,

Customer Question

A female co-worker asked me if I had any guns in my home, after she attended an active shooter training at work. I said no. She then informed me that she was going to buy a gun and get a permit to bring it to work. I let my supervisor know today that she had done this six months ago. Afterward, she came into my office I share with my supervisor along with another male co-worker on our team and they all discussed buying guns. The female co-worker said she was going to buy a gun for her own protection. Should I consider this a threat?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marc replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Marc. I'm a licensed attorney and I will be happy to assist you today.

I'm not sure I understand what is causing you to believe that your co-worker's statement might be a threat. If I understand correctly, perhaps you believe that she is upset that you told your supervisor about her previous statements about getting a gun and permit. Without more details, I'm not sure that's sufficient to believe she means you harm.

What was the tone of the conversation in your office? Has she intimidated you in the past? Do you and she have any kind of ongoing grudge? And does she have a history of violence? Please feel free to share more details so that I can analyze the situation better. Meanwhile, based on what you've written, your co-worker does not seem to have done or said anything that could be construed as a threat.

I'm looking forward to expanding on my answer upon receiving more information from you. However, if you find my answer helpful enough at this point, please feel free to rate my answer, since that is the only way I can get credit.

Best regards,

Marc