Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

We have an employee who was/is taking FMLA intermittently

Customer Question

Hi There-We have an employee who was/is taking FMLA intermittently for her mental health issues. We have her medical documentation stating that she needs to work part-time temporarily. This part-time schedule has been in effect for about 14 weeks. the issue is, that this employee's position requires travel and she has now missed several business trips and had to cancel at the last minute. Are we permitted to assign her projects that do not require travel? It would mean temporarily switching her work around within her department and of course there would be no change in pay or title.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Yes, if the work cannot otherwise be completed on an intermittent leave schedule then the employee's job can be temporarily modified to accommodate their intermittent leave. You would just want to make sure that the employee is returned to their original projects as soon as reasonably possible once they are done with their intermittent leave.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....