KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

If my normal working hours are mon-fri 8 to 4:30 can your

Customer Question

If my normal working hours are mon-fri 8 to 4:30 can your employer tell you it’s mandatory to come in to work on Saturday to do inventory? Or should they be asking for volunteers. (florida)
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. A few initial questions. Do you have a contract, are you management and is there a union bargaining agreement at your job?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No just general labor in a warehouse
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm fine with online - no phone call needed
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you have an answer for me yet?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

working on the response.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A little background. Florida labor laws do not have laws governing the payment of overtime and weekend work, unless you have a contract or a union. You told me you don’t have either. Florida follows the federal laws or labor standards and overtime and hours. In Florida and under the Fair Labor Standards Act, (FLSA) the law governing wages, work during weekends or extra pay for working during weekends is a contractual or management decision. Florida does not currently have any laws stating that the employer cannot make its employees work on weekends, except as the overtime laws apply.

The law is clear that all covered, non-exempt employees, which you are, must be paid at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for the time worked over 40 hours in a workweek, if the weekend hours add up to more than 40.

So, yes they can make you work weekends, unless there is some discrimination as to who is being picked to work weekends, then you would have a claim under state and federal labor laws.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Understood....thank you for your help.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome. Anything else just ask. I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions​.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Done :)
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Anything additional questions come up, please ask.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.
If you have any other questions just ask
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 3 months ago.
If you have any other questions just ask.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 2 months ago.