Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My employer provided me and my 4 year old daughter housing.

Customer Question

my employer provided me and my 4 year old daughter housing. today she told me I was fired and that I have two weeks to vacate the premisiss. what is the proper procedure to evict some one in this sercumstance? I am also bound by my coustody agreement that I have to provide the court with a new address.along with new address and school diresct. can she just through us out into the street like she wants to
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When an employer provides housing as part of employment then they need to give you written notice to evict for non-payment of rent which is typical 3 day notice, so here the employer gave you 2 week notice. If you do not leave in 2 weeks the landlord would need to go to court to sue you for eviction, she legally cannot engage in self help and forcibly evict you and needs to use the court process to evict you.
So she can evict you and force you out by suing you in court for eviction. If she tries to forcibly evict you without court order if you cannot get out in the 2 weeks, then you could sue her for illegal eviction. But honestly, she has given you more time than required and I know it can be tough to move at short notice, but you should do so as once she files suit in court you have an eviction on your rental records that you cannot remove.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.