Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I am due w pension this November. Is it community property?

Customer Question

JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: no
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I worked full time "at will "for 11 years and left since 1990, but I got vested . I can get $ 410/ mo
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I get lump some I will get $78K, ( but apy tax opn it) but my husband will need to consent to that. Otherwise, he is eligible for $205/mo after I die.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

If you were married during the time you were earning the pension then that portion that was earned during the marriage would be community property and subject to division by the court. What happens is the judge issues an order known as a QDRO that divides the pension for the dates of the marriage. Those amounts are then set aside by the pension administrator and can be drawn by the ex-spouse when the working spouse becomes eligible to draw their's.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.