Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am federal employee at a federal agency here in area,

Customer Question

Hi I am federal employee at a federal agency here in Virginia area, recently in a headquarter high grade reduction order, they are trying reduce high grades from GS 15 to GS 14, I am GS 15 being told that grade will be reduction to GS 14 with same pay as GS15. In my unit of 70 people there are 8-10 GS-15 in which only three GS15 effected in which one will retire in next 2 years, I have great performance for 10 years but no reason give, they picked on an opinion based way. They are planning to change PDs too from April 1, 2017, there are multiple GS-15 open but it appears they do not want to give me those billets as I asked them and adminstration told me you have to apply for them and they may hire fresh blood from outside...is it worth get legal action involved here
Submitted: 1 month ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, the federal employer under civil service can reduce grade of employees as long as they do not change pay. If they are selecting employees based only on age/race/sex/disability as criteria, then it is discriminatory and unlawful and a complaint must be made to the EEO and get them involved. Unfortunately, they do not have to actually move employees, you can apply to open jobs through the normal process, but if they are cutting back, which they are doing right now, they are likely to leave those positions empty and unfilled, so nobody may be getting those open positions.