Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

I am currently disabled and am on disability for being

Hi, I am currently disabled and am on disability for being bipolar. My case came up for review after about 7 years of receiving benefits. I am now at the third and final stage of the review, having been denied by two case works as 'fit to work' and am now taking this to the judge. I understand that this is common, however, my mother is helping me purchase a house in the next month. If I loose my disability case and have to pay back the disability benefits I received while my case was being reviewed, could I have my home taken away from me?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

If you lose the case and if you do not repay your overpayment promptly, EDD can deduct the money owed from your future weekly unemployment or state insurance benefits. This process is referred to as an offset. EDD may also reduce or totally withhold your state income tax refunds, lottery winnings, or any other money owed to you by the state. And yes, your home would be at risk of lien foreclosure too since the State can charge you court costs, interest, and record a lien on your property.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.