John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was recently approached by a security guard at my

I was recently approached by a security guard at my workplace, a corporation. he says that he has been watching security cameras and have seen me not pay alot of time for my food. My director wants to speak with me and possibly the director of securities would like to speak with me too.What should I do? I dont care to keep this job as I have been let go since my company was acquired by this new company.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response.

If you really don't want the job any longer, the meeting can only harm you. If they have you on camera doing this, there's nothing you can say to make it less incriminating. So, I'd suggest at the very least that if you do attend the meeting you do not say very much because you may incriminate yourself. The other alternative is to either deny to attend (which probably results in your being terminated) or just resign. Resignation, given your statement that you plan to leave in any event, may be the best option.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you John. If I resign, will they be able to charge me later? Iam going in to grab my personal belongings today.

No, the best they could do is file a complaint with the police, but it's doubtful the police would do anything about it.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
John, I have one more question. I just went in to grab my things and notified my director that I am resigning. Friday was going to be my last day anyways. I wanted to know when it would be enough time to where I can breathe easy and know that everything is over and that they aren't pressing charges?

Around a couple weeks...if you haven't heard from the police by then it's safe to assume they're just dropping the matter or the police will not pursue it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi John I just got a call from the police saying that they are pursuing charges but if I pay $50 they will not put it on my record. Is this true? Should I just pay it?

Sounds suspicious. Are you sure it was the police? Being called right after you resign... I think you ought to be sure that it was the police calling (e.g., call them back or meet them at the police station). If it is the police I'd recommend paying the $50