Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Denied Disability Benefits during Unemployment because I did

Denied Disability Benefits during Unemployment because I did not know does not show "Good cause"
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, what is your question for us?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was denied Temporary disability benefits because I was not aware I could have while receiving unemployment benefits. When I became aware it was pass the 30-day window therefore I was not eligible. In 2015 I was laid off and collected unemployment in the intrim I became ill and could not look for work. I was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney disease with dialysis pending. At the present time I have no income coming in and the stress of all of this is not helping my health. Please advise.
Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry to hear this happened. Unfortunately, the 30 day requirement is deemed an absolute bar requirement unless you can prove you were physically or mentally disabled from filing within that 30 days. So, in order to prevail in an appeal, you would have to somehow prove you were not physically capable of filing within that time period. Otherwise, the claim you did not know you could file is not one that is good cause for them waiving the 30 day requirement. I would suggest using a local disability attorney on your next level appeal and most all of them take no money up front and will only get payment from a small percentage of the benefits they win for you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You so much for your help. Can you recommend a disability attorney in Union, NJ?
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid site rules and state laws forbid us from making personal referrals, the best we are allowed to do is suggest the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank You for all your help.
Thank you for your reply.