N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983

Thanks for reacting. I have got depression in my current job

Customer Question

Hello, thanks for reacting. I have got depression in my current job but I only went to see a doctor last month and was confirmed with light depression. I was thinking of leaving the company and suing my boss/the company for that because most of the depression comes from collaborating with him - unfair judgement, no mutual trust etc. so i was just googling how should i address such
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: well i am in singapore
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: hmm not really, i just want to find out which can be evidence, and which are just emotional feelings that i cannot use if i want to sue
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Details on why I want to sue my employer are listed below, I would like to know if any of those can be used in a lawsuit, or they are just emotional complaints in the point of view of a lawyer.Unfair judgement at work
- I had chickenpox after a business trip a couple of years ago while working with my boss. Instead of taking sick leaves, I chose to work from home for 2 weeks. However two months later when I tried to negotiate with a salary increase, he used this as an example blaming me of "drag down the work process".Distrust for sick-leave
- I took a whole-day sick leave last month to go check for depression. He approved my sick leave (but didn't know what sickness I had), but in the afternoon he called my work mobile asking me what's wrong with me, why I cannot go back to office.- Today I took another whole-day sick leave of which he approved yesterday. I went for medical checking and it took place from 11am to 4pm (I have receipts that showing the timing). But I received his email again around 3pm asking if my appointment really takes 1 day and what's wrong with me again.Working Time
- Constantly comments like "you are single, you don't have anything to do off work, then why can't you stay and work in the office?" or "you don't know anyone in Singapore, why don't you come to the office during weekends".- I recently no longer do overtime work, however he kept asking me (almost once per fortnight) why I am "demotivated".Salary
- I keep receiving an off-market rate, however in terms of this I do not have solid numbers for the industry - they are numbers on the internet with anonymous tweets only.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My current planned actions:
1. Talk to HR on his email today - I plan to ask HR if he has approved for the whole-day leave, would it still be legal to challenge my honesty on sickness? Is this a type of harassment?2. I would like to quit the job, and because I had depression arose from this job, I would like to ask for some compensation - this is the difficulty I am having - is this logical to require such given the details I described above? How much should I ask for (I know for sure they will not give me as much as I ask but good to know a range)? If they do not agree, based on above facts, am I eligible to sue them? I only have solid proofs for the sick-leave section above though.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 3 days ago.

Thank you for your question.

The workers comp law there does not list job induced depression or stress as an occupational disease. My opinion is that you should not quit your job or do anything that might give them a pretext to fire you for cause without first consulting a local attorney. I would not even contact HR until you do that.

There are local employees rights attorneys listed here.

Only a local attorney can provide legal advice, although employees with similar claims have succeeded in other jurisdictions.

I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your quick reply.I am not too worried if they will fire me as a week ago I had secured a back-up option after leaving this job. I'm actually not sure if they will never fire me as it will be more expensive than me resigning myself.Under this scenario, would you think it makes sense to sue, or at least claim that I would be suing them? Thank you in advance.