Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Can you pay a Remodel Salesman/Estimator $15,000 per year

Customer Question

Can you pay a Remodel Salesman/Estimator $15,000 per year plus commissions?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, we are wanting to pay our Remodel Salesman $15,000 plus commissions on his sales.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me what your concern is? In other words, are you concerned about minimum wage laws or what in particular?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just want to make sure with the new laws that this is acceptable.

What new law are you referring to? Again, I need to know what the specific concern is. Minimum wage, overtime, what? Is this salesperson and outside salesperson only?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is outside sales only.

Well, I am still not sure what law you are referring to since you don't say. However, nothing in what you described is unlawful. If he is an outside salesperson he is exempt from overtime and minimum wage laws. That though is nothing new in the law, so not sure what you might be referring to. Here is a link that discusses the law as to whether a salesperson is exempt from minimum wage and overtime wage laws: https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17f_outsidesales.pdf

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. If none, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 17th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is outside. I don't think you'll be able to help me.

I did answer the issue of what wage laws effect outside salesmen and actually provided you with the links so you could read them yourself. So, I am not sure what else you need, but feel free to ask follow up questions. Otherwise, I did provide the assistance asked for.