Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in employment law, unions, contracts, workers comp law
20355756

I am a physician in a medical group. I have my office I have

Customer Question

I am a physician in a medical group. I have my office I have had for 7 yrs. I showed up to work and all of my belongings including some pricey medical equipment and my laptop and lab coats, moved out by one of these administrative nurses who tries to push everyone around. She then set up her own stuff in my office. Like a car-jacking, except it was my office.
Just up and moved my stuff, I cannot find much of it still.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 month ago.

Hello there --

-

Do you have a written contract with the medical group?

-

MARY

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have I will be reviewing it
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 month ago.

Hello again --

-

In your situation, your rights here are defined specifically in your contract and if the contract is silent, then you do not have any legal recourse against the group moving your belongings and furniture to another office unless there was some true invasion of your privacy when it happened (there are privacy laws in your state). You would have to show that they did more than just move your office -- that they went through your files and most likely reviewed information that is specific to your patients, your practice or anything personal to you. If there is something in your contract that gives you a specific choice of an office then you could bring action against the group for breaching the contract. If you do not have any such language in the contract then my suggestion is that the next time you review the contract or you are amending the contract you simply ask them to add a sentence that they are not permitted to move or remove your office without your consent during the term of the contract.

-

I truly wish I could point you to something in the law that gives you recourse in this situation but I cannot. Private employment is generally either "at will" employment (meaning they can terminate a person for any reason or no reason) or by written contract, which you say that you do have a contract in place. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star rating section so I will be given credit for Assisting you today with your questions. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY