MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

My ex-wife is dyslexic, and based on psychiatric

Customer Question

My ex-wife is dyslexic, and based on psychiatric evaluations, is confirmed to have a disability. She was enrolled in a nursing program at Edgewood College in Madison, WI. She has had difficulties in getting accommodations. For example, an instructor asked her not to record her lectures for later review, being forced to give up class or lab time to take tests because the instructor didn't want to allot her extra time, and being denied class material in certain formats because she doesn't "look" disabled. Although she has two B's and an A in her classes to date, she was kicked out of nursing program last week for failing a skills test (the instructor stood over her and glared at her the entire time which made her feel intimidated) Is there any recourse for my ex-wife?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 8 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is yes. You can sue the school for violations of the ADA and discriminating against a person with a disability.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.