Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I own Hair Secrets in Fairlawn Plaza. I am closing the

Customer Question

I own Hair Secrets in Fairlawn Plaza. I am closing the business on Nov 30, 2016. I have been here for 26 years. I sell wigs, breast prosthesis and pocket bras to women who have breast cancer. I want to know what I need to do with these files, how long to store. Also, if Stormont -Vail takes over this business and my clients go there, I want to give them the files. Do I still have to store these files or will the transfer be sufficient. Stormont-Vail has not agreed to do the transfer as yet. We are still in the talking stage.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: You are the first person I have contacted. I have no idea who I need to contact. I contacted my accreditating organization about this but the person I spoke with seemed unsure and said either 7 or 10 years of storage. I need an answer I can feel secure about.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I don't have an employment agreement. I have 2 part-time employees.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need to know the HIPA rules on medical records.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

The facts are a little confusing and I want to make sure I understand your question. Are you asking how long HIPAA requires that you store medical records?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is this going to cost me $38? The first person told me to put $5 on my card and it would be refunded.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

The experts aren't allowed to discuss the issue of payments with you. However, it is not a free service. Would you like for me to send this to a moderator?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 days ago.

The moderator can explain the amount at which the question is valued.