Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am a federal employee. I received an LOC (Letter of

Customer Question

I am a federal employee. I received an LOC (Letter of Counseling) initially the it became an LOA (Lettet of Admonishment). The allegation was I failed to provide a plan based on the deadline. This person who gave me the deadline was not my supervisor but he courtesy copied my boss when he sent it to me. When I provided my answer, I did not received any feedback whether it was acceptable or not. Then the LOC was presented to me. When I sent my response, I was presented an LOA as a downgrade from the LOC based on my response. I filed a formal grievance to my supervisor since the person who issued the LOC and then LOA in place of the LOC was not my supervisor and the allegation against me was not true based on the information I was asked to provide. My supervisor denied my grievance and issued me an LOC via e-mail. He was supposed to provide his response by 15 Aug, if I didn't ask for his response at least 3 times, he would not have given it to me. I just received his response yesterday. I know that he violated an AF Instruction on the delay of his response. Did he violate any labor law under Federal? Which Federal Law? Can I file another grievance? According to my boss that the LOC was based on my performance. He dated the LOC 13 Oct. He sent me his feedback via e-mail but never discussed in person 30 Aug.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He did not violate any law or federal regulation, because the laws do not address this type of process. Disciplinary process is up to your employer's internal regulations and federal civil service. It is also based on your contract if you are under the union. So you have to refer to your union agreement to file a grievance, because the laws are not so narrow that they even talk at all about disciplinary letters, process or LOA or LOC or anything of the sort, that is all up to the employer's policies and rules.