Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I work 11 to 12 hrs per day no lunch or break eat at my

Customer Question

I work 11 to 12 hrs per day no lunch or break eat at my desk. was working close to 40 to overtime. .. now cutting me back to two days a week. 730 to 6 although never leave before 7 usually.. now that they have me under 20 to 26 hrs per week, they no longer have to pay for my insurance. what are my options.. nothing im sure.. just asking? BTW I work for a Veterinary clinic
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, unless you had an employment contract that guaranteed you a specific number of hours, which could not be altered without your consent, your employment is "at will." At will employment can legally be terminated or adjusted at any time, with or without cause.

The previous issues with your work hours don't really give you any legal leverage here unless you were an hourly employee that worked those hours and never received overtime. Even then, all you could do is report the employer and try to obtain the unpaid overtime. That report would be to the state Department of Labor where you live.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.