Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

From 2012 through now I have lived in Michigan, and worked

Customer Question

From 2012 through now I have lived in Michigan, and worked in multiple states. Mostly Indiana. Under a reciprocal agreement. In all the prior years my unemployment has bee reported to Michigan. As of 2015 it seems my payroll department has changed, and has been reporting my wages for unemployment to the "state worked in." This has caused a few problems. It has been nothing less than impossible to gather anything but conflicting information on this subject.Did the law change? Has my company been doing things wrong for 5 years? I find myself stuck between the state of Michigan, who after I provide wage information to, and are now saying that my company reported my wages in Illinois. although I only worked there a few weeks. Indiana, where the bulk of my work was actually performed, Michigan where I reside, Illinois, and now Minnesota where I find myself today are all taking a bite. I get laid off for a month, and the buck passing starts.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The law did not change. Your unemployment benefits application must be filed in the State where you reside. Then, it would be the responsibility of your State's unemployment agency to verify your wages and pay your benefits accordingly.