Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My human resources representative disclosed information to

Customer Question

My human resources representative disclosed information to my ex-wife regarding benefits for my emancipated daughter. Apparently my ex-wife and that human resources representative are in the same sorority. My current wife is very upset and I took it to the attention of the chief of staff of whom has done nothing about it. This is not only affecting my job because I have to interact with her, but I've been off with work with headaches as I have hypertension and believe my privacy has been invaded is there anything at all I can do about this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is an invasion of privacy and the HR representative had no legal right to disclose your information to anyone but you or your daughter as she is emancipated, UNLESS your ex presented the HR representative with a written power of attorney for your daughter. If your employer refuses to take action, then you still have the right to sue your employer and the HR representative personally for breach of their duty of confidentiality of your personnel information AND for invasion of your privacy. You need to go get treatment for your medical condition caused by the emotional distress from the incident to begin to document damages and you would need a local attorney to file suit for your damages, including emotional distress.