Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

The company I have worked for continuously since 1990 (W2)

Customer Question

The company I have worked for continuously since 1990 (W2) just cut my work load and consequently my salary by 66.6%. I am being offered 1/3 of my salary for 1/3 of the work. Should I be seeking unemployment assistance?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in New York, however my employer is located in the State of Connecticut.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: There is no union. I would have to call it part time. This was my second job for the last 27 years. I retired from my primary job last December.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 days ago.

If you wish to leave, having your salary cut by 2/3 is "good cause" and would not disqualify you from unemployment. Likewise, you can file for partial benefits for "underemployment" in the loss of schedule and salary.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 days ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!