Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I was recently terminated from my job without violating any

Customer Question

I was recently terminated from my job without violating any company policy. I have been looking for another job and feel I am being bad-mouth by my previous employer. Is it illegal in the state of New Jersey for a previous employer to inform a potential employer that I was terminated? If so, is there case law to back this up?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under NJ law a former employer has no prohibition against informing potential employers regarding truthful information about employees or former employees. As long as the employer does not make known false statements about the employee, they are protected and allowed to disclose the information to other potential employers. It is only if the employer makes known false statements that the employer could be subject to a lawsuit for slander/defamation/libel for causing harm to the former employee though the known false statements.