Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

After 22 years of employment, my company is now offering me

Customer Question

After 22 years of employment, my company is now offering me a $1 a year salary plus benefits. No cause is being cited instead I'm told (through the grapevine) that money is needed for salaries of younger employees who are demanding higher salaries. Rather than just accepting the offer, can I counter with a request for a severance package? Does it matter that I am 55 years old, female and currently under treatment for cancer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. I wish you well.

Your Questions:

Rather than just accepting the offer, can I counter with a request for a severance package?

Response 1: Yes, you can under the circumstances. You appear to be a victim of age, gender, and disability discrimination: you are a female who is 40 and over and going through cancer treatment. Your company may be trying to get rid off you because of these three things. It does not make sense that you are the only one being offered this package at this time.

Does it matter that I am 55 years old, female and currently under treatment for cancer?

Response 2: Yes, it does matter. You can file discrimination complaint against the employer if the employer has 15/20 or more employees for this illegal action if you are the only one in this class (sex, age, disability) being treated this way. You can file complaint with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Best wishes,