Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert

I am facing a voluntary self termination in lieu of doing

Customer Question

I am facing a voluntary self termination in lieu of doing legal action for what was technically sexual harassment at my job. I want to negotiate a severance package since I am going quietly without suit. What can I ask for?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Their lawyer wants me to make a statement for their files. I suppose they're on my side but it is known they can do shady things and I don't want that headache.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I suppose not. I can give them the details when we connect.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 13 days ago.

There are no limitations as to what you can ask for. An employer is not mandated to give a severance package and therefore there are no limits to it. You can ask for pay, loss of benefits, a guarantee that they won't contest unemployment, etc.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.