Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My employee was showing her computer screen to a client and

my employee was showing her computer screen to a client and she opened the wrong clients database. She recognized her error immediately and froze the sharing of the screen, but is concerned the client she was working with saw a few of the patient names from another client. We will send a letter to the client who's info was shared incorrectly to let them know. Is there anything else we should do? The screen was shown for approximately 10-15 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I could text as well if that is easier -(###) ###-#### thanks
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
HIPAA recognizes mistakes occur. 15 seconds or so of a mistaken showing of a record is not really a HIPAA violation, especially if personal health information could not be viewed. Such a short showing of the computer information is not likely to cause any issues and if you and she took action to correct it immediately and it was not intentional you taking corrective action is sufficient. If the person was not able to copy the information or record it, letting the patients know is not necessary at this point and just can cause patients more concern and trigger complaints, even though you would likely be found not liable for a violation.
I would suggest you not notify anyone and you implement written procedures to prevent anyone from being in the same position as your employee was again, such as making customers/clients sit on the opposite side of the computer so they cannot view the screen and giving them information only once it is verified.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your assistance with this.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Failure to leave positive feedback can result in you not getting further service if necessary. Thank you for understanding..