Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

Is the Federal Gov passing legislation in 2017 to end lump

Customer Question

Hello, Is the Federal Gov passing legislation in 2017 to end lump sum pension payments
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: no
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your question. Congress doesn't have any pending legislation to make lump sum pension payments unlawful. I am not exactly sure where the genesis of your question comes from, but there is a plan by the IRS to change some pension payment tax rules that would effectively end the advantage of lump sum pension payouts. You can read about that at the following link (it is a bit technical, but what IRS ruling isn't):

So, that is a tax rule and not a statute per se, but it would narrow the possibilities of tax advantages tied to rolling over lump sum pension payouts.

Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 12 days ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.