Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Our Manager has set up a mandatory on a Friday which is

Our Manager has set up a mandatory on a Friday which is outside our normal working hours. this meeting is for both Salaried and Salaried Non-exempt employees. After this meeting is finished he is demanding that we attend a Team Building event at another location (Top Golf) from 3-5. can he legally make us attend this event?

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Texas here is am employment at will state.He can require you to attend and you can be terminated here at will. If everyone is required to attend it would be hard to argue EEOC and discrimination for such a meeting as all are required to attend. Please don't shoot the messenger in this case the employer has right to set requirements and hours including meetings.

If this was training you might be due training wages for the time here, but if it is a general meeting and you are salaried you don't get paid and they can require it as a term of employment. I am truly sorry they are doing this to you but the law federal or state does not protect you in this situation.Now if they single you out and not others int he company you might have an EEOC type complaint.But if everyone has to come not much you can do about it under current law.Again please don't shoot the messenger just trying to give you honest information about employment at will in Texas.

I appreciate the chance to help you, please let me know if you have follow up.

Thanks again.