Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

Ex employer is trying to file a claim on my bond under the

Customer Question

Ex employer is trying to file a claim on my bond under the employee dishonesty clause and my question is do I have to talk to them and help them with their investigation. I worked for a credit union and quit a year ago and now they come up with this.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

If this is simply a your employer doing an investigation you do not have to help them with their investigation. They have to be able to make enough of a case in order to keep your bond so you can't come back on them and file suit. So no you do not have to participate and help them make their case unless you have an employment or union contract that requires you to do so or you will lose some type of bonus or severance or something to that effect. If this is a criminal matter on the other hand and the police or another state or federal entity is doing the investigation then yes you might have to investigate. You just need to weigh the negatives and the positives of involving yourself and possibly clearing your name and giving them more evidence.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've asked for a copy of this bond coverage on me and they said no, maybe in person when I assist in investigation. But as I see it, if they're trying to cash out on my name and get away with it, I'll just get an attorney involved once the bonding company sues me after the claim gets laid out if it does. I don't understand how I still have bond coverage with them when I haven't worked there since September 2015.

They will do and say anything they can to get you to do what they want. I think it is a good idea to lawyer up and have him/her review the facts and figure out how you should proceed. They cannot force you to do anything and participate in the investigation legally.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What type of lawyer would you suggest for on this type of case? I'm not sure I have alot of options where I live. Should I get them involved now during the investigation or wait once they actually pay the claim?

I would get them involved sooner rather than later. Again looking at the individual facts and sitting with you during any investigation could make that a viable option. I would look into an employment attorney and you can go to http://martindale.com or http://lawyers.com and see attorneys of that type im your area as well as see client reviews that will allow you to find the right attorney for you.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?