Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Well i am 36yrs of age and have health problems and so i

Customer Question

well i am 36yrs of age and have health problems and so i carry my book bag with my medical supplies and other personal idems. i ride a motorcycle. and when i need to go the store. i have to have it just in case their is a medical problem. Their is only one store open after i get off of work.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Now that store will not let me shop their anymore without my book bag what do i do?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Can you please better explain? What do you mean they will not let you shop there without your book bag? Please give us the details?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I walk in the store a person asked me to leave my bag while i am shopping i thought why? And said no, i will not leave my bag with you i dont know you. person said then you can not come back to our store and that we have a policy no bags allowed in store. and then i see this women as she is leaving the store she has a purse/bag that is bigger then mine i say to this person she has a bigger bag then i do. why did you not ask for her bag? then he called a police officer over and this officer works for this store. officer said to me i have to ask you to not come in the store with your back pack? And i can band you from here!
Thank you for your reply.
Even though you may have medical supplies in the bag, they have a legal right to not allow someone into the store with a backpack, especially since they can allow you to check it with the clerk upon entry and it would be reasonably accessible if you need it in an emergency.
The store can legally ban backpacks or book bags for shoplifting protection and if a person refuses to do so then the store can refuse to allow you in, since they are a private business and have the right to refuse anyone entry into the store.
The request to leave the backpack at the front of the store or with the clerk upon entry to the store is a reasonable and legal request though and if you refuse to comply legally they do not need to allow you into the store.
I understand your argument about the woman's purse, but at law the stores can allow a woman to have a purse and deny a male entry with a book bag or backpack and the courts have no issue with that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will not be a victim of embarrassment and discrimination becouse i am a male!!!! i will take care of this. idiot
Thank you for your reply.
Sir, this would apply to a male or a female with a backpack. The shop owner has a legal right to refuse to allow backpacks or book bags in the store. They are not purses. If you wish to carry a purse, then you have a potential claim for discrimination and you could pursue that claim against the store.
There is nothing embarrassing about simply checking your bag with the clerk when you enter the store, they are not singling you out and allowing others to enter with backpacks, they are preventing people from entering with backpacks.