Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

I do not have what I need in front of me to write everything

Customer Question

Hi I do not have what I need in front of me to write everything down that I need to. I have had some previous issues with my union and employer. I ended up filing a complaint against both of them with the labor board in CT. I work at a state run group home for the developmentally disabled in CT, and five years ago I was transferred out of my home to another location, due to a co-worker of mine being arrested for and then sentenced for sexual assault. When I arrived at the new location I was immediately harassed, and the new staff openly talked about what happened, and said that they did not understand how myself, and my former co-workers could not have noticed anything. There were a number of incidents and then accusations against me, two of which were serious, and one of which led to a five day suspension, and the other of which led to me being transferred out of this house to yet another new location. My union did little or nothing to help me until I filed a complaint against both them and my employer at the labor office. The union organizer kept postponing my hearings, and continuously denied co-worker statements that should have been available to me. I contacted the labor board after he permanently removed me from the docket because he said that I skipped a hearing after he had forgotten that he had postponed my hearing. within two days of contacting the labor board, I was then put back on the docket, ands it was not long after that my five day suspension was reduced to a letter of warning, and the other other accusation which led to me being transferred from my house was found to be unfounded. However what I was not aware of at the time was that because I had filed a grievance , was that I had a right to obtain all the statements that were made against me. I even established email communication with the union that shows that they denied me the statements. I was able to do what I needed to do, to protect myself, but I went through 14 months of going to the Labor Board, and talking to the union, and talking to management, and the humiliation of two transfers, which may have damaged my reputation as an employee. I am considering filing one more complaint against the union, just so I can get an explanation about what happened. If I had been able to obtain the information at the start, I would not have had to go through 14 months of this, and things would have been settled much sooner. I don`t think I should need an attorney for this since a union cannot fire me, but I may want to talk to someone just to see what extent they can get away with things. Thanks Tim.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what specifically can I answer for you about this situation?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 days ago.

waiting for your reply so I may focus the answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi I realize that I rambled a bit with what I wrote, but I gave a brief history of workplace harassment. There were several incidents that I described above that were very stressful for me, and there was one incident that led to a five day suspension. During this time I started extensive note taking and email communication with my union and management. During this time I continuously requested the statements that my co-workers made against me from my union, and they repeatedly refused to give me these statements. Later I learned that my union should have had no trouble with providing me wit these statements. The union organizer also claimed that I skipped a hearing and with emails I was able to prove him wrong, and I was able to reduce my suspension to a letter of warning in front of the board of labor relations in CT, However , from my other email you can see that there have been multiple problems, and through email communication that the union refused to provide me with statements that should have been available to me. While I was not punished I had to go through 2 transfers, which is humiliating and stressful. I want to know if there is an agency outside of the board of Labor Relations in CT that I can contact? To me , my union which is 1199 has not proven themselves to be any other then corrupt.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 9 days ago.
Beyond the agency consider the following:The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Kindly rate me five stars. Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.