Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney

I was off from my job in June 2016. I had some vacation time

Customer Question

Hello My name is ***** ***** I was laid off from my job in June 2016. I had some vacation time coming and was never paid. I have tried contacting the CEO and he never contacted me back. Is there something that can be done to collect for my earned vacation time?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: was full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that should cover it
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 19 days ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have employment handbook and does it specify the former employer's policy related to any unused vacation time in case of a lay off?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hello Alex thank you for getting back to me my late delay in responding back. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the company handbook.
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you have an employment contract?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
As far as I can recall, I do not. I started working there over 15 years ago and cannot remember if I received a handbook or signed a contract. I may have received a handbook but honestly don't think I signed a contract but not sure
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello Alex,Can you tell me what I can do now at this point? I haven't heard back from you anymore.
Please advise... Thank you
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but unfortunately, unless former employee has some type of written employment contract and/or some other actual evidence that the company is contractually or legally obligated to compensate a terminated employee for any unused vacation time, I am afraid there would generally not be any further legal recourse.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!