Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

NJ employer tax question: My question is..... Are appointed

Customer Question

NJ employer tax question: My question is..... Are appointed paid zoning and planning board members as well as paid elected officials (Mayor and councilmen) subject to unemployment and FLI withholding in NJ? I cannot find an exemption for these employees under the law. Currently I am not withholding taxes from these employees. To promote or correct this I am seeking concrete regulation that will support my case either way.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The answer is no. See Federal Unemployment Tax Act. 26 U.S.C. Chapter 23 especially Section 3306. Also see this information

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I don't see specifically why your answer is no.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

At the second link that was cited for you it states that the following is exempt from coverage:

B) Service performed in the employ of this state or of any political subdivision thereof or of any instrumentality of this state or its political subdivisions, and service in the employ of the South Jersey Port Corporation or its successors;

Please Note:

(1) The information provided above is general in nature and for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information. If you need or want legal advice you should consult with a local lawyer of your choice who can better guide you after reviewing all the pertinent facts and details. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and

(3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.