Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I belong to Union 479 but I am also self employed with my

Customer Question

I belong to Union 479 but I am also self employed with my own company. They take a health plan on us and buy us insurance from it. Problem is, I have my own insurance and I don't want theirs. I was able to do their reimbursement program but they are changing the rules now to make it harder. I want to know if their is any recourse to this or if I am stuck with them double insuring me since I am a member.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, I've tried to solve it by talking to them, and It did get me on the re-imbursement program. I just got the letter on them changing the rules today and was just wondering what the law was.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, that's it.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 19 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Regrettably, there is currently no federal or state law that makes this practice illegal. So, it would be up to your Union to be reasonable and not to force you to pay premium for insurance that you do not need.

I wish that I had better news for you.

Best wishes,