David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney in Employment Law
95745447

What happens after an investigation abuse in nursing home?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 1 month ago.

It depends on who is investigating and the findings. Do you have any specific information I can review and give you a more specific response. Thanks, David

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I went to my resident room to check on him and change the brief because he was wet and I told me him I want change the brief and put a new brief on for him. I start to take the brief of and he start to hit me with the hand. He won't let me change him. I talk to me him and he allow me to change the brief. So I notice the sheet was wet and I want to change it . He is trying to hit me and grab the brief. So I report it to the nurse and the nurse trying to help and he won't let the nurse change. So the nurse told me we should leave him . So the Don call me that they have have suspend me and investigating about me.

Okay, I am really sorry you are having to deal with this especially when you are only trying to help a patient in need! I would expect the findings to be delivered within a couple of weeks of the investigation being started. If they do not have findings in that time frame and lifted your suspension I would suggest you draft a letter to the administration of the nursing home explaining you are suspended and need to know the status of your job. Unfortunately, when it is the nursing home doing the investigation they are not required to provide you with the findings or give you your job back so I would also suggest you begin looking for other employment in case they drag this out for an extended period of time and you need to pay bills and take care of yourself and family. I would also suggest you consult with an employment law attorney that is local in your city to contact the nursing home directly and inquire as to what is going on with your job and the investigation. I hope this helps you, and again really sorry for your experience in this instance. Please reply with any additional information I can provide. David

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay.. So what kind of investigation will they do ?

They should interview you, the staff on site that evening and the nirse, and also the patient and roomate if they are able to provide an interview. This would be an incident on site and I would expect you suspension is their normal process and you will be reinstated as soon as they finish. If you believe they fail to do a thorough investigation and keep you waiting on suspensio. I would definately like you to speak with a local employment lawyer to make some calls to the facility on your behalf to get things moving.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They already interview me and said suspend me and the doing investigation. And also me and the nurse was working that night.

Okay, then hopefully they will finish very soon and lift your suspension. Good luck with everything and I hope this works out very soon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Lastly, the investigation. Will the interview all the staff and the residents?

I would not expect them to interview all the residents, but likely the staff that was on site the evening this occurred. As for residents, just the one involved and roomate if there is one.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was no roommate , just the resident and me..

Let me know if there is any additional information I can provide. One additional thought I had was for you too look in the employment manual the nursing home has to see if it discusses administrative procedures for an investigation. You would want to make sure the nursing home is following any procedures they have published for an investigation and it may also give you more guidance on what to expect as they proceed. I'm also going to offer you a phone call that will remain open if you would like to discuss this matter in more detail. Thanks David

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi.. So what happens after the investigation?

The outcome is going to depend on the results of the investigation and their administrative processes. If you want answers as soon as possible you should call your supervisor and ask about the status of the investigation and what they believe the outcome is going to be. I wish I had answers for you on that but the nursing home is in control of it and I am unable to speak for them. If you dont get answers you still can contact an attorney locally to see if they will take your case and start calling the nursing home on your behalf.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My supervisor call me today to tell she wants to meet me tommorrow . I don't know what's going to happen

I am sorry but I dont either. I am glad they are at least reaching out to you and hopefully to reinstate you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it might be good or bad news right?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are they going to tell me the outcome of the investigation ?

I have already responded to these questions and do not have any additional information for you. I am going to opt out and allow you to speak with another attorney.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

...