Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I work as a lab technician. I am classified as a salaried

Customer Question

I work as a lab technician . I am classified as a salaried non exempt. i work 5 days a week 8 hours a day. Sometimes we cover on sat if the woks cannot be finished on Friday. So, every 3rd sat. I may have to work.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south carolina . I have worked here for 26 years. and If i put in a vacatuon day for friday Idid not have to work on saturday (if this was my saturday to work).the new rule is if i put in a vacation day for friday and dat is my day to work . I now have to arrange for my own coverage for Sat or I can not take a vacation day on friday. Normally out of courtesty we work for each other if we would like to switch Saturdays but not if we were off on friday because sat is not a schedduled work day.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: fulltime
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

I assume you are asking whether this is a legal practice. Unfortunately, I must tell you that it is. In general, the law does not require employers to offer vacation at all. So, the law permits employers to create their own rules with regard to how and when they will administer a benefit they are not legally required to give. The employer's policy does not need to be fair, provided it is not administered in a way that discriminates on the basis of a legally protected trait such as race or religion. You can attempt to reason with your employer that this policy is unfair, but regrettably you would not have any legal options under the circumstances you describe, typically speaking. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....