Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

To Whom It May Concern, Is it acceptable or a right for a

Customer Question

To Whom It May Concern,Is it acceptable or a right for a contracted RN to refuse a pt. assignment to a hospital where an RN has received credentialing but not orientation of the physical environment of the hospital even in an emergency situation?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: HR though is supporting the manager
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have contracts with different hospitals and the employer don't think that physical orientation to the hospital is not necessary as long as the nurse is already credentialed
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Legally speaking there is nothing improper about assigning a nurse to a hospital where they have not received orientation. It may not be "right" in the sense that it is poor management, but it is not against the law and the nurse could be lawfully disciplined or even terminated for refusing to work on this basis.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Aren't there any nursing law that gives the nurse a right to refuse a pt assignment if the nurse is not comfortable to function in a certain hospital? I have read in ANA that one reason for objection to receive an assignment is lack of sufficient orientation.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
no thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, being uncomfortable would not be enough. There would need to be some reason that directly put patients at risk. Lack of orientation will never rise to that level because by this logic a nurse could refuse to work at any hospital other than the one they started at. It will always take some time to learn new hospital layouts. I have a lot of experience with employment law in the context of nursing and hospitals and I have never heard of a nurse successfully refusing an assignment on this basis. Attempting to do so would be to put your job at risk, I'm afraid.