Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

If a judge gives a plaintiff a deadline date to find an

Customer Question

If a judge gives a plaintiff a deadline date to find an attorney for a federal court case and the plaintiff exceeds that deadline by a couple of days can the defense attorney file a request to not allow the plaintiff to get an attorney or is the only person that can do that the judge
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

No the right to counsel is guaranteed under the constitution.If the person got a lawyer here even a couple of days late then the case will move forward.The party is not sanctioned here for getting a lawyer.The judge will expect the case move forward with discovery and moving toward trial here.It is a moot issue , the lawyer represents plaintiff and this issue is really a non issue at this point.Defense cannot motion here to remove the lawyer.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does this mean I can get a lawyer at any time and the judge was just offering a courtesy to not go forward right away basically giving me an extension of time to get help in preparing for the case
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

He was giving you a chance to obtain counsel so you have a fair chance to prevail.He would give you a couple of extra days here.Thats not unreasonable.Document your efforts to get a lawyer and you will be fine.You want to try to get one as soon as you can here to avoid the judge making other deadlines that you would have trouble dealing with.But you do the best you can here thats all you can do.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it risky to try and settle before signing a retainer. For instance will it look like I am eager to settle and can the attorney I may need to secure find out that I am trying to settle
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

It is not necessarily risky.See what they offer.Settlement discussions aren't admissible here.
It doesn't hurt to see if you can resolve it if you know what you want.

Thanks for the follow up.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

I wish you the best, ***** ***** can positive rate it is much appreciated.