Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

We are a private employer and have employees that work in

Customer Question

we are a private employer and have employees that work in the federal building downtown. Since we only pay our employees for 8 holidays, do we have to pay those employees at the government office for 10 holidays?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Whether the private sector employer will give their employees federal holidays off and/or pay for them is up to their discretion. And, just because the employees work in the federal building does not mean that they get specific benefits of federal workers.

As such, the answer is no - they do not have to be paid for the 10 holidays automatically, unless their contracts state so.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.